Wednesday, June 16, 2010

My First Week as a College Student

The first week as a college student just flew by. First week I learned how life is like being a college student living on campus and from living at home. During the first part of the week I was still living at Scott Hall. During those days prioritizing was very difficult most of the summer scholars just wanted to have fun, making it more difficult to focus. While living at home prioritizing school work is much easier as there aren’t as many distractions from other people. In the days I lived at Scott Hall and attended school I felt very lucky as the only homework I had to do for the week was read a few pages from the book and documents at the UNO Blackboard. Learning how to handle distractions and having time management will come a long way in living at campus if I decide to do that.
Not only did I have to find out how college life is like from home or living at campus. I found out how college professors are like. I am enrolled in History 1120 with Dr. Scherer. Dr. Scherer reminds me a lot of my football coach/ AP History teacher Mr. Wortman. My college professor reminds me a lot of my high school teacher because they both tend to move the class pretty fast and just keep talking without slowing down unless someone where to say something. Other than that the course is different than a high school class because our professor doesn’t care if you show up to his class or not or even take notes of his lecture (not a good thing to do). I can’t really say if this class is easy or not as I haven’t had anything for a grade yet until I take my first test tomorrow.
It is good to know that I am not alone and that I am with nine other summer scholars taking the class. I am fortunate to have a study group led by our RTA Caitlin Sheley where we can help each other. In our study group we help each other by clarifying anything we might be confused on or by helping each other with our notes. By having a study group twice a week it just makes things easier from transitioning from high school to college. With all that being said wish me luck tomorrow as it will be my first grade in history!

No comments:

Post a Comment