Thursday, June 10, 2010

Residence Life with Summer Scholars

How many people can say that they lived on campus without graduating from high school? Not many that’s for sure, but I am one of those who can say yes as I am fortunate enough to be a part of the 2010 Summer Scholars Program at UNO. By being a part of the program I was given the opportunity to live on campus at Scott Residence Hall. Part of me was excited and couldn’t wait to live on campus but another part of me was nervous as I was going to live with people that I have never met before and not knowing how I was going to spend my time there.
As I arrived checked in to my dorm, I ran in to two of my three roommates Paul Nguyen and Rafael Estrada. The moment I saw Paul I was relieved to see someone I had met before during the school year and got know many new friends from Papillion-LaVista, Millard North, Millard South, Burke, etc. (Sorry that I didn’t mention everyone’s school little short on time). My third roommate Garyth Barnes is an interesting person as he is a very open minded person and knows how to lower tensions within the group and can get laughs going among me and the other scholars. I got to know many people at Carol Joy Holling Camp. We were split into three groups mine was called Super Fly! At the camp my group and I built trust and confidence with each other by completing tasks such as rock climbing, high ropes course, and other challenges.
Not only getting to know my fellow scholars was cool in my stay at Scott Hall but also the RTAs. The RTAs are awesome as they kept us occupied with many activities such as Mojo Scavenger Hunt, Outdoor Fun , etc. They also helped us through any questions that we had throughout our stay. All of them gave us the respect we want and in return all of the scholars did as well. All I can say is thank you all and see you at class Car'Lika, Jarett, Caitlin, Miguel, Koua, and Tricia.

No comments:

Post a Comment